View Single Post

Old 07-05-2013, 03:59 PM

Liked 611 Times in 277 Posts

I've been spending a larger portion of my time lately researching AR15s because I decided I want one again. Back before Sandy Hook and the "ban" talk I was thinking about one but hadn't quite convinced myself I "needed" one. I kept telling myself that all I wanted it for was to go to the range and plink and that just didn't seem to justify the expense. I mean, the money could be spent in many better or fulfilling ways and on needs rather than wants. So I put it out of mind..........................until recently. I have the itch reaaaaaaaaaal bad.

I saw a listing on this forum's for sale section for a S&W AR15 Sport, I mulled it over, looked at the ad many times, slept on it, asked a couple friends what they thought of the deal, and when I was finally ready to pull the perverbial trigger.......it was gone. While kicking myself I saw another listing pop up for a S&W AR15, again I mulled it over, researched it, PM'd the owner, asked one buddy what he thought, and then it was gone by the time I decided to say, "I'll take it".

I did a Google search on reviews and rankings for AR15s. Here is a link to one I found very interesting: AR Manufacturer Tier/Quality Ranking - AR15.COM.

How does this apply to the thread??? Being a newbie to ARs I don't know much of anything about them from a use or manufacturer standpoint. So I used my trusty computer to try to educate myself since I can't just go out and shoot several different brands or makes like so many of you seem to think we all have available to do. I'm interested in "Tiers" because it provides me a reference point as to people's opinions based on their biases. I saw local for sale ads for several manufacturers and then saw that those guns were ranked very low by many users.

Based on the fact that I will use it for primarily plinking I don't want to spend $2k, but I want something dependable in case TSHTF and there is fighting in the streets. And when I get the inevitable "why do you need it" question from the liberal gun grabbers my answer is "because I want it and it's cool looking", so there! [tongue sticking out and making the fart noise]

P.S. one of my friends said something that made me laugh, he's Asian and has the stereotypical accent so bear that in mind as you read this. "if you have the itch, yous have to scratch it"
The Following User Likes This Post: