View Single Post

Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC View Post
That is one reason he wants a new gun...warranty coverage.

He is mainly interested in rifles and shotguns, and hunts extensively. He's mainly wanting a handgun for home defense, and has never owned one. All the recent craziness have him convinced he should get one now, while he can...especially if it holds more than 10 rounds. He lives in Texas, though, as I do, so that is unlikely to be an issue.

For my own curiosity, what would those be? And as for his hand size, he can palm a basketball...while I can palm a ping pong ball.
They'd be SIG's or the Star M-30, if I found a really good deal on the Star, which is out of production. But he rightly wants a new pistol with parts and support available.

Most members do not read OP's well and inject their own criteria in answering. I understood your requirements, and answered accordingly.

It is very important to have him handle the gun before purchase. Academy Sports sometimes sells CZ's in Texas. Berettas are much more widely sold. I think Beretta has better QC, as some CZ finishes and grind lines along the front edge of the grip vary. Stainless CZ's may have better uniformity there.
CZ-USA is seemingly doing well now, and their rifles are also well worth considering.

BTW, the M-92FS has a slight radius at the back of the grip, which lets it fit many hands better than the actual M-9. You have to feel the difference to believe it. I tried both at once; bought the FS. I think I paid $450 on sale, with two mags. But that was several years ago.

I've never seen either the M-92 series or a CZ-75 jam. Both tend to be quite accurate.

My son found the issue M-9 to work well even in sandy Iraq, as long as real Beretta or Mec-Gar mags were used.

Last edited by Texas Star; 07-09-2013 at 10:22 PM.