View Single Post

Old 07-12-2013, 07:07 AM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

My Lee 49th is showing a charge of 4.0 to 4.5 grains of SR 7625 for a 158 grain 38 spl. BTW, prior experience with using SR-7625 indicates that with most calibers the data for Lead and Jacketed bullets will be identical or near identical. My impression is that this particular powder is very much less sensitive to the increase in pressure produced when using jacketed bullets. Don't quite understand why but the good news is that with this particular powder you are perfectly safe using the lower 4/5 of the loading range for either type of bullet provided the weight matches what you are loading with. BTW, the 357 Magnum data for this powder and bullet weight is showing a charge weight up to 6.1 grains, so for your model 28 you can go a good bit heavier on your charge weight. However, when loading 38 spl. cases to Magnum data you must be exceedingly careful to NOT EVER use this ammo in a 38 spl. revolver.

About your stuck bullets, since SR 7625 is a powder that meters particularly well I suspect that one possibility is that you either have a contaminated or bad bottle of powder. Another possibility is that you simply undercharged a couple of cartridges rather severely. I know it can be hard to admit a mistake but we all run the risk of "dropping the ball" at some point. It's one reason why I still don't have a progressive press. By single staging I can line up all of my charged cases and look into each and every one before I stuff in a bullet.

PS; I've done a direct comparison between Berry's and HSM Plated bullets using 5.2 grains of SR 7625 behind a 180 grain 40 caliber bullet. Both bullets produced IDENTICAL average velocities of 960 fps.

Last edited by scooter123; 07-12-2013 at 07:12 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: