View Single Post

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM

Liked 609 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAROMAN View Post
...just shaking the cases for a couple of minutes in a Tupperware tub with hot water and my chosen cleaner (Bar keepers Friend)
Gotta tell ya', I bought QTY #500 Federal American Eagle 357 brass (fired 1X) recently, & it was carboned up to the point that 4 hours in crushed walnut would not remove it. Worst I've seen. Never Dull & steel wool would get it clean, but just barely - w/ a lot of work.

Figured I'd have to either dump $80 on a Harbor Freight ultra-sonic, or scrap my "bargain" brass.

Then I read this post.

A 45 minute soak in a solution of 2 Tbs Barkeepers Friend, & 1.5 Qt hot water loosened the carbon to the point that I could wipe it off w/ a wet paper towel, during a fresh water rinse.

A second rinse in a baking soda / water solution, to neutralize.

After drying, the area's that were previously covered w/ the carbon, were noted to be badly tarnished, & somewhat abraded. Still looked pretty bad, but at least the carbon was 98% gone.

2 hours in the walnut shell, w/ some Dillon polish cleaned everything up nicely.

The Barkeeper's Friend is a cleanser, that utilizes a mild acid - which is what softened / removed the carbon. I would hesitate to soak brass in it for an extended period, but can't imaging why I'd need to. From my experience, if a 1 hour +/- soak won't do it, it's not gonna' get done.

Still like to know how this brass got so badly carbon fouled, in the first place. Moot point now I suppose, as it actually appears as new...