Thread: WVSP 4566TSW
View Single Post

Old 07-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,198 Times in 2,860 Posts

Beautiful pistol! Everything you need in a duty gun and nothing you don't.

As to the troops who would complain about the 4566TSW I have a couple of opinions based on my observations and experiences.

Many younger officers have little to no experience with guns, prior to becoming LE. Lets face it, our society today......and for the past decade or so, is largely "anti gun". Young folks are indoctrinated into "guns are bad".

Schools preach against guns. So do the liberals media lapdogs. Boy Scouts don't even teach marksmanship anymore. These younger guys come up with little exposure to firearms.

Then they get in the academy and have a Glock put in their hand. Their instructors extoll the virtues of the plastic wonder gun. They are also "aware" of Glocks from popular videos and movies. They are indoctrinated that their agency wants the best equipment for them. So, the Glock must be "best" or their agency wouldn't stick it in their holster. Right? And look at how many other agencies use Glocks.

They see TDA metal framed guns as antiquated, "heavy" and "hard to shoot well" because of that mythical "dreaded DA to SA transition". They probably have never shot metal framed guns, unless they have prior military service and even that is no guarantee of prior handgun training.

I know two rookies who are former US Army who never fired a handgun prior to becoming LE. Long guns yes. But no handguns. They love plastic striker fired guns. Neither has ever shot anything else. They have no practical experience with any other firearm other than what they were taught on at the academy. And they have no interest in firearms, shooting for fun, sport or in practicing to improve their skill set. They only shoot twice a year at qualifications and hope to score a 70. The bare minimum score to qualify and keep working on the street.

When they shoot with older guys who came up in a gun culture, have experience with many different handgun designs and platforms, have revolver experience, compete with handguns, have an interest in guns and shooting and carry metal framed hammer fired guns, these young Glock babies are largely outclassed.

We - the aforementioned dinosaurs carrying steel framed hammer fired guns - largely shoot expert or distinguished expert. We pick up the old copies of COMBAT HANDGUNS to read in the range house during breaks. We talk about guns and shooting. We have leather holsters and gunbelts. We likely smoke or use tobacco products too!

So, when some guy says that his melonited 4566TSW duty gun, even a current production example, is "junk", well...........I'll take that opinion with a large shaker of salt. Odds are, the same guy thinks the m&p is just a great pistol. He probably carries one of those panty shields off duty too. In 9mm. My 0.02 Regards 18DAI