View Single Post

Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 PM

Liked 889 Times in 296 Posts
Default 11 degree forcing cone cutter

Not really that necessary, but wanted to tinker with my 44s and see how much the tools and cost would be to do the 11 degree cut. I have eight 44 caliber revolvers and thought I'd get my monies worth if all of them were done. Got the brownells basic kit.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...ls/chamfering-

Received the kit and first found out the 1/4"dia. rod extension was to big diameter for the supplied handle with the set screw, well not that much of a problem and just redrill the handle to 1/4" to match the extension rod. OK. Now instructions say to only make two turns with the cutter and check with a forcing cone gauge. Heck, I forgot to get one of them and had to order a 44 cal. gauge to do the job. Few days later, I now have the honing oil and everything needed for this small job.
A pair of Ruger Vaqueros were the first to be done and the first Ruger took two turns and checked out fine with the gauge, checked the second Ruger before cutting and all ready close to max. cut with the gauge so left it alone and will see if it makes any difference with leading which is not horrible,but does get some leading that cleans up pretty easy after a shooting session. Checked the 4- 629s and three were already close to max. cut and one 629 apparently had the forcing cone cut and was too deep with this gauge. These 629s were all used condition when I bought them and all shoot fine. So the S&W guns no cut. Ain't even checked the two Uberti SAA. Now I have close to a $120.00 in this kit and about done with it unless I want to buy gauges for 38 and 45.
Oh well it was fun anyways.