View Single Post

Old 07-28-2013, 11:02 PM

Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
Ruger forcing cones have been factory cut at 5 degrees. I'm not positive, but have been told, that S&W have cut theirs at 9 degrees.

I was thinking that Rugers are 9 degrees for jacketed bullets(?).

Acutally, the angle is 79 degrees (90 -11=79). Somehow through the years is got misinterpreted.

Joe. A., I did this to a used Colt Diamondback .38 I traded into and the results were literally jaw dropping!! Uberti revolvers have some of the worst forcing cones that I have ever seen. My Ruger .44 Spcl. I bought in 2009 was perfect as were the two Colt FSS's in 44-40 I bought in 2008. Sometimes you get lucky, but more often not.

chief38, to see the physical results shine a light in the muzzle and look at the forcing cone with the cylinder out of the way. You should see polished metal that funnels into the leade of the rifling. This process does not help all revolvers as some simply don't need it. However, it will never make one shoot worse and at the least make it easier to clean. It helps with SOME incidents of "spitting" due to stacking tolerances on cylinder/barrel alignment and/or bad machining. It will not however stop "spitting" totally from 125 gr. .357 Mags. as that has more to do with bullet length & pressure/powder in relationship to other things.