View Single Post

Old 07-30-2013, 04:28 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,070 Times in 2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj View Post
Hi:
Prior to the "Shortage", what was the regular retail price for a box of .22 LR ammo ?
Jim, prior to 2008 a brick of 22's would run you $9.99 at the most and a price of $7.99 was a sale and Cabela's would run a super-sale for $6.99 once and a while. After the 2008 shortage a brick of 22's doubled and was rarely under $20 but some sales would see them @ $18.99. That's right, 22 ammo doubled in price and I feel it was because during the shortage the ammo manufacturers saw what some were willing to pay. Now they have seen some people pay over $100 for 500 to 550 rounds of .22 ammo, the same ammo that was under $10 before Obama was elected.

I fear when the prices do come down they will be doubled again from what it was before the 2012 shortage. I highly doubt we will ever see a brick of .22 ammo for under $30 but probably more like $40. We have no one to blame but ourselves. If everyone would have refused to pay the inflated prices we would have been better off but when the manufacturers see MANY shooters paying over $100 for a brick they will take what they can from us.

I'm very sad my grandchildren won't be able to shoot as much as I did when I was young because .22 ammo will never be cheap again. 99 cents for a box of 50 .22LR rounds will never happen again and it makes me sick to see some stores putting a price of $9 on a box of 50!
SWCA #3437
The Following 2 Users Like Post: