View Single Post

Old 07-30-2013, 11:33 AM

Liked 213 Times in 92 Posts

It's been a few years since I was in that area, and the last time I used a Navy helicopter to pull a guy off of Half Dome.

If you haven't been up to Tuolumne Meadows and Tioga Pass, I do recommend them, but during the week as the public is less numerous then. Good fishing in the streams up there, and good hiking on the trails.

Then continue over the pass, and down to Lee Vining. You can see Mono Lake there, where they filmed "High Plains Drifter", and then go over to Bodie, which is an old gold mining town made into a CA state park. Then I'd go north on US 395 to Carson City NV, and Virginia City. Both are worth the price of admission. Continue on the Reno, pick up I 80 over Donner Pass, and see all of the mining towns on the west side of the Sierra Nevada. Then on to Sacramento and "Old Sac" if you're interested. From there you can pick up the 5 back to LA, or go over to Monterrey and Carmel and take the PCH.

I've done all of those drives a few times back in the 80's and early 90's when I was living in Lemoore, and that route has lots of interesting sites on it. It may be too much to take in all at once, but IMO it takes in the best parts of Kali-well, except for the central valley which from what I understand has become Aztlan in recent days.