Thread: .40 cal vs 9mm
View Single Post

Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 AM

Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
Thumbs up IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
From what I've seen recently, the 9mm has lost it's cost advantage over the 40 caliber. After a full year of being totally devoid of 9mm of any description, the one local Walmart that has been able to keep some handgun ammunition in stock just recently started getting in some 9mm. Fiocci FMJ, at 16.97 per box of 50. That aint cheap. Until the recent price hike, Federal FMJ in the 40 S&W was 13.97 per box of 50, now I think it's also 16.97 however it was out of stock and the saleperson didn't know the new price.

Currently, the most widely used caliber in Law Enforcement is the 40 caliber and sales volume is a huge determanent for price. At one time, the cheapest major caliber that could be found was the 38 spl. and it's because at that time it was the caliber carried in almost every Cops revolver. When the Police forces moved to the semi auto, it was initially into the 9mm for it's greater capacity and similarity in recoil to the 38 spl. So, for a great many years the most widely sold ammunition was the 9mm Parabellum and it became very inexpensive. Now, due to reported failures of the 9mm in terms of stopping power, police forces have taken up the 40 caliber. If NATO ever decide to take up the 40 caliber, it will rapidly become the least expensive ammo you can shoot, until then 9mm and 40 will be very similar in cost.

As for stopping power, the 9mm, 40 caliber, and 45 ACP are all moderate power handgun calibers. This means that none offer true 1 shot stopping power without optimum shot placement. IMO, one is better served by picking one caliber and learning how to master it. I also think that in large part the caliber debate has largely devolved into a mechanism largely used to generate new sales in both ammunition and handguns.

That said, I happen to favor the 40 caliber. For basically the same reason why I prefer a 22 ounce hammer over a 16 ounce hammer, I get a heavier hit with a bit less apparent effort. Due to the local shortage of 9mm in my area for the past year, I am really liking my choice even more.
scooter123 you just hit the sweet spot on this debate. I've been shooting & reloading for three decades and I prefer the 9mm for a CCW but that's me. My favorite caliber to carry on a back woods hunt is the .41 magnum with a 3 inch barrel. Your statement about choosing the caliber you like and "learning" to shoot it well is the whole enchilada in a nutshell. Practice, practice & more practice. Unless you're covered in body armor from head to toe my 9mm is going to take you out!
The Following User Likes This Post: