Thread: .40 cal vs 9mm
View Single Post

Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Liked 162 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
From what I've seen recently, the 9mm has lost it's cost advantage over the 40 caliber. After a full year of being totally devoid of 9mm of any description, the one local Walmart that has been able to keep some handgun ammunition in stock just recently started getting in some 9mm.

As for stopping power, the 9mm, 40 caliber, and 45 ACP are all moderate power handgun calibers. This means that none offer true 1 shot stopping power without optimum shot placement. IMO, one is better served by picking one caliber and learning how to master it.
I agree with this...

I have both 9mm and 40 S&W pistols. I used to really like the 9mm, just to use for the most inexpensive full-size pistol ammo. Of course I also like my 22lr for that too, however over the past few months both 22lr and 9mm were not to be found. Although that is slowly changing, in my area they are not as inexpensive as they once were and the difference in 9mm and 40 S&W has narrowed.

No pistol is a magic ray gun that will vaporize a target by simply grazing it when fired. Handguns are a compromise in size and compactness from the firepower of an adequate long-gun. Hopefully none of us will ever have to use either our long-guns or hand-guns for anything other the range, or hunting. In the meantime I'm sure we'll each have opinions of which caliber serves us best for the purpose we use them for.