View Single Post

Old 08-04-2013, 10:38 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,057 Times in 319 Posts

As to the Mosin:

I spent a great deal of time living with the Natives on the West Coast (Seward Penn.) when I was in the Alaska National Guard. I was the XO of A company (St Lawrence Island) and CO of B company (which consisted of Shishmarif, Brevig Mission, Teller, Wales, and Little Diomede).

These people don't have much money, many survive on their Guard Checks, or carving ivory for their income. Substances is the way of life, so buying ammo is a big expense. I would bet the ammo used in the Mosin's is surplus.

Mosin's weren't popular back then but 223 & 308 was because the used guard ammo. When scudelling qualifications and marksmanship training I would order more ammo then needed to give it to them.

Later when I started running sniper schools using M1C/D, '06 got popular again. It kind of dried up after the army switch from the M1s, to the M14s and 308s became popular.

So yes this ammo is fmj stuff for the most part. I leaned that the natives weren't any better then any other group of people when it comes to shooting. They just shoot lots.

I was in Brevig Mission when they brought in a whale. I asked the boat captain how many times he shoot the whale. He said, "box and a half of 458 and 2 1/2 boxes of 223. Take into account he was one of 8 guys in the boat. The whale dies of lead poisoning.

I had an NCO who bought a 458 Win Mag, thinking it would help him with walrus & whales. Only after getting the gun he couldn't find nor afford to shoot it. St Lawrence Island had a lead cable stretched across the island years ago (some sort of commo cable I assume).

I told him to go chop up some lead from the cable and I'd fix him up. So the next time I was in Gambell (largest of the two villages on the island) I brought him a bullet mold, lee reloader, powder, primers and some brass. He was set up for some cheap shooting.

But mostly, the people I knew used guard ammo.

They also aren't the best people in the world for taking care of equipment. They would leave their rifles in the boat over winter, come spring after setting in ice for months, the guns were useless.

I met a guy who went around the villages trading rifles and he'd take them apart, sell what he could. He sold me "6" model 70 actions for $235 for the 6.. I made some great rifles out of these actions.

These guys are great people, I miss my time I had with them. If anyone gets a chance, visit these villages, well worth the trip.

You'll be met at the airstrip and I can guarantee the first two questions you'll get is "Want to buy ivory" and "you got pot"

Anyway, you can bet when Mosin's went to $99 and ammo less then $200 per 880 rounds, these people will be shooting Mosins with their Guard Ammo.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: