View Single Post

Old 08-07-2013, 03:31 PM

Liked 146 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkarrob View Post
I also installed the Apex sear, but I also installed their striker block, and used all the stock Shield springs. I did not buy the kit, but just those two parts. My trigger pull was 4 pounds 4 ounces. I then removed the stock trigger spring and replaced it with a standard Glock trigger spring. The pull weight was reduced to 3 pounds 10-12 ounces. I now have the pull weight just where I want it.

I installed the Apex blocker, to remove the gritty pull. When I assembled the gun, with the Apex parts, I still had the gritty pull. I pulled the blocker out and found a machining burr, in the blocker bore. Most people think the "gritty" pull is the contact of the trigger bar blocker tab, contacting the blocker. My experience is that S&W machines the blocker bore first, and then machines the striker bore, which can leave a burr in the blocker bore (both bores intersect). I have much experience in production machining, and I find major fault that S&W does not have an operation to make sure there are no burrs in the blocker bore. A simple pass of a hone would solve this problem. Once I removed that burr and reinstalled the blocker, the gritty pull was gone. I now have a very smooth pull, with no buildup or stacking. A constant trigger pull that only moves 1/16 inch to break, once the take up/pre-travel is gone. Release the trigger 1/16 inch and the trigger resets. A nice short, smooth, soft pull to break, with a short reset.

Bob
Rob, thanks to your YouTube video, I swapped out the sear myself on my Shield. It being Shield specific, getting the safety lever off was a breeze after you showed how. Thank you very much! The trigger pull on my specific Shield has always been terrible (others agree) and now pretty nice