View Single Post

Old 08-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Liked 133 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkarrob View Post
I have made the 40 to 9mm swap for my Shield. It works perfectly, and I have not had one issue. I bought 9mm mags, but found that my Shield feeds the 9mm cartridges without issue, using the 40 mags. However some members have reported that they get a jam feeding the last round of 9mm, from the 40 mags. I have not had that issue, and I would think it is due to slight differences in the width of the mag feed lips.

9mm to 40 also works, except that the tang at the top rear of 40 barrel needs to be ground down about .012 to .013 inch on each side of the tang. The 40 to 9mm is a drop in swap as the 9mm barrel tang in more narrow than the 40 barrel tang, and fits into the tang slot of the 40 slide. Since the 9mm slide tang slot is more narrow (.407 inch), the 40 barrel will not fit into the 9mm slide. The tang width on the 40 barrel needs to made narrower, so it will fit. Nothing needs to be done to the slide. This was done by a forum member and documented how he did it with photos, however the photos no longer show. The following photos show where the 40 barrel tang needs to be narrowed, so it can be used in a 9mm slide. The photo shows the tang slot width of the 40 slide is .433 inch. I don't have a photo of the 9mm slide, but the width of the slide tang slot is .407 inch. The 40 barrel tang needs to be ground down to the width of the 9mm tang, and it will then fit into the 9mm slide. I have measured both the 9mm barrel and the 40 barrel and the only differences between the two barrels is: the bore diameter (9mm versus 40) and the tang width. There are no other differences between the barrels. I think the 40 to 9mm conversion is a better fit, as once the 40 barrel tang is ground down, the clearance is the same as the stock 9mm barrel, in regards to the slide slot width. When doing the 40 to 9mm swap, there is extra tang to slot width clearance of .026 inch, but no one has had any issue with that small amount of extra clearance. Accuracy is not affected.

Then you need 40 magazines, as the 40 cartridges will not fit into the 9mm mags. Remember the extractor and recoil springs are the same for both the 9mm and the 40, for all M&P models: FS, Compact, and Shield. You need to use the same barrels as your model, as they all have different barrel lengths.

Bob

So is it possible to have a 40 barrel custom fitted to a 9mm slide, or have the slide customized to fit a 40 barrel (and maybe run 9mm conversion barrels)?