View Single Post

Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,590 Times in 2,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaskop49 View Post
I also found the tiny 'original-style' grips to be brutal to shoot with: I was very surprised by this as .45ACP ball is not a heavy kicking round. I sent my '17 back to S&W as the sideplate had been improperly fitted and also asked them to remove the lanyard ring. I was then able to use Pachs and other grips.

I found a set of service N-frame Magna stocks at a show and now the gun looks 'right,' lanyard ring aside. These grips are also more comfy to shoot with than the 'splinters.' I still cannot understand how this N-frame gun, light that it is, can kick so hard with ACP. Anybody?
IMO, the main factor is the light barrel. A heavy barrel is not only more weight, but it is more weight out where it does some good, since the gun is basically trying to pivot the muzzle around your grip on the grips.

I tried my 22-4 with the service "stocks" and a Tyler, and it worked fairly well, but not as well as with Pachmayr Presentation (Small) grips. You can remove and replace the lanyard ring yourself, by removing or replacing the pin that holds it in.
The Following User Likes This Post: