View Single Post

Old 09-04-2013, 02:02 AM

Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts

Greetings, All,

I bought my own 3" M657, I think, back in the 1980's, and paid all of $300 for it, NIB, with S&W Combat grips, and all the goodies, from a gun dealer in Ramona, CA. He had had it for several years, and nobody was interested in it, because of the .41 caliber. I had LOOKED for one for several years, and had gone to the old Great Western Gun Show, which used to be in Pomona, CA, with lots of coin, and a couple of guns to trade, when I stumbled upon the one I own now. When the Dealer told me the asking price was $300, I asked him what was wrong with it. He told me that he just hadn't been able to sell it, and if I wanted it, for $300, it was mine. I don't have to tell you, but my money "almost caught fire", I got it out of my wallet so quickly!!

With the Remington 210 gr. JSP, this little boomer will shoot all of them into a very tight cluster, right in the X-ring, from a rest, at 25 yards. Works well with other similar loads, too, and is still just as tight as the day I bought it. I, too, like the medium power loads for regular shooting, but still trust the 210 gr. JSP Remington load, along with 175 grain Winchester Silvertips, when I can find them, to do the jobs needed.

At last count, I now have 11 .41 Magnums, and I'm always open to more, as I find, and can afford them. The .41 is still a very under-appreciated caliber, despite the fact that it can do just about any job you need done with a handgun. Guess it's for that reason that our small but mighty group of hard-core .41 lovers and shooters remain as faithful to it as we do!!

Hearty congrats to the original poster, on scoring your own M657 3"!! You are going to LOVE this pistol, without question!! Like others, I leave my lovely S&W combat grips in the safe, and use Pachmayr "Compacs" on mine. I carry it in two rigs, one being a Bianchi cross-draw #111 Cyclone, and the other an ISP strong side Kramer horsehide holster, and both do a fine job of toting this small but powerful handgun. Have fun with yours, Sir, and well done, in all respects!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Last edited by Doc Mark; 09-04-2013 at 02:08 AM.