Thread: Sd40 problem
View Single Post

Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie300s View Post
Regarding the frame problem; I too have had no problem with the functioning of the SD40. My only problem is that S&W told me to send it in and they would fix it but didn't fix it and didn't provide an explanation. This past weekend I came up with my own fix. I made a jig from scrap 1/4" ply wood and clamped it in such a manner that the dust cover would be pushed over into proper position. After applying a little heat to the dust cover with a heat gun, the frame is now perfectly straight. Very simple process. I don't see why S&W couldn't have done the same thing, considering they have a lot more experience with polymer than I have. Still disappointed in S&W but now the pistol is perfect.

So you decided to change something that could theoretically affect the reliability of a firearm because it looked "off" to you after the manufacturer told you that it was within specifications?

This sounds ludicrous to me.

The Glock 22 on my night stand has the dreaded bowing of the frame and not only does it go bang every time but it does so under horrendous conditions.

Polymer firearms are not barbecue guns. They're not meant to be barbecue guns. They are meant to be a lower cost alternative to all steel/steel-alloy firearms.

I would hesitate to every heat polymer on one of my firearms to make it more aesthetically pleasing to me. That stuff has very specific strength qualities that can be damaged by excessive heat and the last thing I would want is to void my warrant by damaging a firearm that the manufacturer has already said is within specs.