View Single Post

Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 PM
US Veteran

Liked 105 Times in 58 Posts

Been thinking about the merits of getting a core and I did a measured comparison of guns and holsters with my M&P Pro 9 and my Bladetech holster (one that comes in IDPA comp pack for Pro). I don't see any reason the Core 9 5" won't fit my existing holster even with optics mounted. First and foremost there is plenty of clearance for the taller sights. It also looks like there is plenty of clearance for optics.

A word of warning about buying a serpa holster. Personally I don't like them and consider them unsafe but there are those that will argue either side. Face to face never met anyone, including cops, that care for them. I will add to that seeing first hand a 45 in leg courtesy of a serpa holster. Here again others will argue "training" is required.

Regardless of what anyone thinks here is what is starting to transpire... I shot an IDPA match a couple weeks ago and the range has now formally banned serpa holsters (along with non-rigid IWB holsters). Serpa holsters can be used only if the retention mechanism is fully disabled. Based on what I have seen at various ranges I would bet serpa is well on its way to being banned at ranges and competitions for being unsafe. I have mixed feelings about ranges/clubs making their own rules contrary to published discipline rules but it is what it is.

P.S. I also have the S&W stamped Bladetech that comes in the range kits for fullsize. The M&P Pro does NOT fit it. Surprised someone said a 9L does.

Last edited by millisec; 09-16-2013 at 01:44 PM.