View Single Post

Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 8,947 Times in 3,555 Posts

16.05: Sale of Handguns Without Childproofing

(1) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice to sell a handgun without a safety device in violation of M.G.L. c. 140, § 131K.

(2) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice for a handgun-purveyor to transfer or offer to transfer to any customer located within the Commonwealth any handgun which does not contain a mechanism which effectively precludes an average five year old child from operating the handgun when it is ready to fire; such mechanisms shall include, but are not limited to: raising trigger resistance to at least a ten pound pull, altering the firing mechanism so that an average five year old child's hands are too small to operate the handgun, or requiring a series of multiple motions in order to fire the handgun.

(3) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice for a handgun-purveyor to transfer or offer to transfer to any customer located within the Commonwealth any handgun which does not contain a load indicator or magazine safety disconnect.

(4) 940 CMR 16.05(2) shall not apply to handguns which have a hammer deactivation device. 940 CMR 16.05(3) applies only to handguns that have a mechanism to load cartridges via a magazine.

The MA compliant Shield SKU 180051 has a 10.5 pound trigger pull. If however, I am reading the law correctly, according to section (4), section (2) does not apply if the gun has a hammer deactivation device.

I haven't received my MA compliant Shield yet (just purchased from a PA gun shop) but I believe that it has a hammer disconect just like my other carry gun, the big brother model 59. If that is the case, why does it need the 10.5 lb trigger???
LM #497