Thread: mod 53
View Single Post

Old 09-17-2013, 05:58 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 4,495 Times in 1,516 Posts

The M53 is a tough call... in one sense you can try to work the price lower by arguing that it is a "Niche" gun with ammo availability an ever present issue along with the added handicap that other revolvers don't have, which is the "must do" charge hole hygiene to keep it from jamming... and it is only in demand by the most ardent of S&W fans.

On the flip side... it IS perhaps the most unique DA revolver S&W pushed out the factory door, no longer made and being priced as such.

To make an informed decision based on the financials... how many firearms do you own? How much did they all cost? Divide the number you own into the total cost, that gives you the dollar cost average for each one... the average number should be lower than the actual price (and value) for any single gun that you have.

Now do that again with the M53 and the $2K added in to the equation... does the dollar cost average come in lower than the $2k price?

Well, depending on how bad and how long you've wanted one, and how often you've seen or had access to one in that shape, with what is comes with... if you have the funds, buy it.

Why? Because it's here now... and you may not be when another comes around? Yeah, that's really terrible and morbid sounding but.... 'ya know... who really knows?

Because if the dollar cost averaging says you're are still coming out ahead in the total scheme of things, that helps to make paying the higher price more palatable... at least it does for me when I compare what my dollar cost average is for what I have put in my collection over the years versus what the market values would be today.

Years ago I bought a performance center 4006 that was part of a special run of only 12 made. I paid around $1500 for it and at the time I thought I was stark raving mad to do so. But now, after time marching forward and other purchases made since then at better prices, my dollar cost average for the gun is hundreds lower than what I originally paid... and I ended up with a very limited and unique gun that I'm proud to call mine and enjoy.

I also have a M53 I bought in the same shape, and with everything the one you're looking at comes with... I paid over $1200 for it almost 7 years ago, that was considered high. But between today's prices and it's dollar cost average... that price sure does not seem so bad (to me) now either.

Anyway... just a different perspective and possibly some potential food for thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01604.jpg (117.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg M53.jpg (73.4 KB, 18 views)
SWCA #1830 SWHF #222

Last edited by Gunhacker; 09-17-2013 at 06:26 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: