View Single Post

Old 09-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Cast Barrel

My Bad. Should have said machined I guess. The difference in the two types of barrels are the MIM one, (metal injection molded) and the Machined one. To tell them apart is real easy, on the MIM ones, they say, ".380 Auto over top of BG380" on the ejector side of the barrel, stamped in letters. On the machined barrel they say, "380 Auto" right on top on the barrel hood, right down the middle. I picked mine up from a gunsmith who was using parts from the lower receiver of another gun that had the lower polymer body "melted" from being left too close to a fireplace by some extremely careless previous owner. This smith had no need for the slide assembly, and since it has no serial numbers to contend with, I identified the barrel as being non-MIM, inspected it and the entire slide did not show any damage from any heat issues, so I offered him a $100.00 for the whole thing and it was sold. Plus now I have a few extra factory parts as well. The barrel showed basically no wear marks and appeared "like new", as well as the entire slide, broke down the slide and it too was basically clean inside and out. No wear marks or casing dis-coloration from shells even around the firing pin hole in the slide. Looks like it was a never shot pocket piece, except for the melted lower polymer body, not melted like wax, just enough to see a bend in the grip that was not a natural holding angle.