View Single Post

Old 09-22-2013, 01:56 AM

Liked 1,095 Times in 266 Posts

Based on all the comments the Blackhawk obviously is durable, accurate and serves its purpose well as a shooter.

Just to clarify, if I understood it right, the older convertibles were build on the large frame. The newer ones are being built on the smaller 357 mag frame. If I want the large frame convertible I will have to find a used one? Or purchase a new vaquero that does not have the extra cylinder.

Even though its not recommended to shoot the Ruger only loads in the new smaller frame 45 colts, the smaller frames still feels and looks pretty solid. I'm sure someone has run the Ruger only loads through the smaller frame. Has anyone seen the smaller frame come apart or result in damage from those loads?

The 45 Colt loads that I actively shoot in my 94 I would not dare shoot in my 25-5 but I think the smaller blackhawk would hold up fine. I have a lot of extra 45 acp that I could plink with so I would like to have the extra cylinder. I'm not into paying more for an older shooter as the new ones are priced very reasonable and seem to be plentiful.

Thanks for all the comments and information!!