View Single Post

Old 09-28-2013, 12:06 PM

Liked 5,185 Times in 1,935 Posts
Default Why did the rabbit climb the tree?

Since we moved to Highlands Ranch, CO we've been forced into peaceful co-existence with the local rabbits. We now watch them for entertainment. This morning while eating breakfast my wife saw one of them (we think it is the one we named JR) stretching up to the lower limbs of a dwarf fir tree. He suddenly pulled himself up inside! My wife ran for her camera and we watched as the tree shook. A leg appeared as he tried not to fall out and then he was just as quickly back on the ground. He hopped around a bit in the walking park behind the house. He then returned to the tree and climbed back up. The tree was much more still this time and after several minutes he made a controlled descent back to the ground. He sniffed at another tree but it seemed like he wanted to return to the first tree. Something in the park scared him though and he ran under our sunroom. These are dwarf fir trees (exact type unknown) with the lowest branches trimmed off so they don't interfere with the grass sprinklers. This one is a little less than 6' tall with about 18" trimmed bare at the bottom. I can't imagine the tree having any sort of food source, so why did the rabbit climb the tree?