View Single Post

Old 09-29-2013, 06:55 AM

Liked 33 Times in 7 Posts

Honestly, I have no experience with the S&W, but, I took my recently purchased SR40 out yesterday, and my results were quite different.
WW "white box" was first up, and that hundred rounds went out without a single hiccup. There was a magazine loading device included with mine, and welcome aid that is!
After that first hundred rounds, which I used up over a bag, then two handed, and then single handed, with both hands, I think I've found the second Ruger semi auto that I can like! (the other is the SR1911 that I bought last year)
I must admit, that what prompted me to buy this particular 40 is that it was available! Since the last "election", handguns in that chambering of any flavor seem to be in short supply, so when this one showed up, I had to have it.
I DID reverse the backstrap to make it straight, for my smaller than average hands, something I've had to do with almost all of my semi autos. I'm not necessarily in love with the sights, though they'll do in a pinch for me. I'm actually a better shot at 7 yards and under without using sights at all, and for extended yardages, I prefer a "target" type sight arrangement.
My trigger was more than satisfactory from the "git-go", and seems to be a bit smoother than my XD40's were. Not a 'match' trigger by any stretch, but not "pulling a box of rocks down a gravel road for a hundred yards", either.
This handguns safety and mag release is perhaps the first setup that I've been able to successfully use with both hands of any manufacturer.
In all, for an "under $400" semi auto, it's a very good buy, at least in my eyes.
I must admit that I've always been a revolver guy, almost exclusively S&W's, to boot, and have, until recently, not paid too much attention to the Ruger handguns of any persuasion. Got to say, though, that since I retired, and there's only one check coming in, and gas pushing $4 a gallon, I don't have the budget to buy just anything that pleases me. After holding my nose and walking past a LOT of Rugers over the years, my experience with several of them recently has made me re-think things!
I look forward to checking out the S&W, and some of the others, when they become available around these parts. In the meantime, I'm quite satisfied with this one, and don't feel the need to push it off for something else!