View Single Post

Old 09-30-2013, 09:37 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,367 Times in 1,003 Posts

I have both as well and intend to keep them both! But when it comes to carry I have to admit I don't even own a holster for the 686.

For me when it comes to carry revolvers you have to consider the weight as the day drags on (guns get heavier!) vs. ballistics. It is MHO that if you were to chart these variables you would find they intersect at the model 19/66. It offers superior knock down power in a more comfortable package. I think most of us can respect the power of a 158g .357 and it's stopping ability...more than enough for any conceivable SD scenario...as well as the sleek design of a 66.

Now the 66 doesn't get you into J frame territory for ease of carry but it also doesn't batter you like a J frame using full 158g loads. The 686 will absorb recoil a bit better but at a cost of added bulk.

I own a few L frames and love 'em...but I have twice as many K frames and they are my favorite. I have said before in other posts but I will say again...my son-in-law is a Ruger guy through and through...but his carry revolver is a snubbie 66.

You could keep them both or turn that snubbie 686 into a 4" or 6" and have what the L frames do best! (I won't be parting with my 4" 586 in this lifetime).

Of course this is all my ramblings and doesn't mean much...you could carry that 686 and be well armed with a fine revolver! It's always nice to have options...God bless America!

And since no post is complete without a pic please allow me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (74.5 KB, 529 views)
The Following 15 Users Like Post: