View Single Post

Old 10-07-2013, 06:54 AM

Liked 1,661 Times in 691 Posts

In a verifiable medium, no. But I have cast & swaged 1000's of hp in different nose profiles along with different sized hp's.

Things I do know & learned:

Bigger meplats = bigger hp's
The more curved the bullet nose the better/easier to load in revolvers
The larger hp's of the rnfp bullet with their long hollow nose will expand to a larger diameter than their swc counterpart

I used to have a 358156 hp mold, & replaced it with these.

Those are a 640 style 158gr rnfp hp's that will run circles around the 358156 hp that I used to cast. These 640's dominated the 156's enough that I sold the mold.

Another project that I'm going to work on this winter, making a rnfp nose forming die for the swaged bullets that I make.

As you can see in the picture of the swaged bullets, the nose of the hp bullet has a wider profile than the solid swc nose. This was done to try to get more expansion at slower speeds (ie snub nosed velocities).

I do allot of testing with the 38spl and different bbl lengths. Currently I use:
1 2"bbl
3 different 4" bbl'
4 different 6" bbl's
1 8" bbl
1 10" bbl

That's 10 different barrels & 5 different barrel lengths that I test 38spl's with. That tends to allow me to get a real good look at how a bullet will perform.

I see Kieth's name come up in this forum all the time. He did excellent work & his bullets are legendary. But every bullet design (including his) has limitations. His swc has been around for decades & the 640 rnfp design for a decade.

The rnfp's have taken over & have dominated the semi-auto's. As shooters get educated about them they will take over areas of the revolver market. The 38spl should be one of those areas. The rnfp will easily outperform the swc with easier loading with speedloaders & their expansion to a larger diameter hp.
The Following User Likes This Post: