View Single Post

Old 10-09-2013, 12:09 AM

Liked 733 Times in 266 Posts

<rant>
I've been around fighter aircraft since I was born in the early '50s. Props (P-47 and P-51) to the F-80, F-86, F-100 (my favorite of all time) and the other Century Series of fighters through the F-16 and beyond. I love them all - even the bulky Vought A7D Corsair My dad flew in 4 wars/conflicts and while I couldn't join the Air Force due to metal in me, I am active in retoring and preserving those classic jet aircraft.

But the earlier comment regarding Boeing rattles my feathers. Boeing consumed and absorbed EVERY American fighter aircraft company with the exception of Lockheed/Lockheed-Martin. They even ate their only competitor McDonnel Douglas without any Sherman Antitrust Act objection. But America's history of fighters isn't with either Lockheed or Boeing (who doesn't even manufacture fighters).

America's aviation master was North American Aviation! This is the company that built the B-25 long range bomber, P-51 Mustang, the Saber Jet & Super Saber, the XB-70 Valkyrie supersonic bomber. They made aviation history and records with the X-15 rocket plane and the B-1 Lancer bomber as well as most of their other aircraft. I don't even remember all the historic planes North American Aviation made.

But, by Boeing being allowed to consume every other company like North American, Hughes Helicopters, Stearman, and others, there remained only one single American fighter company -- Lockheed/Lockheed Martin.

With Lockheed having no competition and innovative concepts developed by others, innovation slowed and costs skyrocketed. It is no wonder that today's modern fighters all resemble each other and use similar technology. I often wonder what America's aviation landscape would be if North American were still around.

Anyway as a North American Aviation fan, I was sorry to see them bought and then cast aside leaving the wonder of fighter technology to just one single company.
</rant>
The Following User Likes This Post: