View Single Post

Old 10-10-2013, 09:08 AM

Liked 1,365 Times in 483 Posts

Reviving an old thread...

Ben Avery Shooting Facility, North Phoenix.

1650 acres. Several ranges including general, police, skeet, trap, cowboy, smallbore, extreme long range etc. Campground on site. Range fee is $7 per day for as long as you want to shoot, 7am to dusk. I'm usually there for about 4 hours.

Main range for just about everything, pistol, rifle, shotgun. No 50 BMG, tracers or armor piercing allowed but essentially anything else is fine. Five to 200 yard target holders. 67 shooting benches. I can't get a photo of all the benches in one shot. This pic is looking fron one end toward the control booth which is dead center in the row of benches. On the left of the pic, people are attaching targets and so forth. Tape dispensers and target holders are available and free for anyone to use. On the right of the pic is the shooting bench area. Hanging, suspended screens between each bench. Each station isnice and wide. Fits right or left handed shooters well and you're allowed to draw from a holster if you wish. There are portable screens to block flying brass from bottom feeder shooters. One is visible in the pic by the guy with the blue shirt, bent over working with his gun.

Pic from just about the same area. The place is so huge that you can't even see to the control booth from the ends of the line. Range officers with orange vests roam the lines and are visible in the pics. They're all knowledgable and friendly and VERY patient with new shooters who haven't yet gotten the "Don't cross the line during a range break" rule. Acoustic ceiling tiles with several inches of insulation behind that reduce the bang bang noise. You may collect your own brass or broom/squeege your brass into the area in front of the benches, out of the way of the shooters feet. The range collects that brass and sells/reloads it.

This young teen girl is out-shooting her dad and most of the other shooters around our area of the range.

Some wifey shooter with her pink AR.

Dad with maybe 8 or 10 year old son. They're not shooting at the target you see in the pic, they're shooting at 100 yds. I think the SA revolver is 44 mag. Never could get a shot of the kid shooting but dad was calling for him through the spotter scope. At 100 yds, he was shooting the 7 ring consistantly. Note the tremendous natural backstop.

Close up of the dad with the 44 Mag. I think it's a 10 inch bbl.

This is one of my students. The only time he's ever shot any kind of gun was a year ago when he fired someone's AR in the desert, and 40 years ago as a kid he fired a few rounds from some kind of goose gun. He shot fabulously. Clear and uncluttered mind without predisposed ideas about how to shoot allowed him to kill the black part of the targets time after time.

I think this was 25 yds. He's filling the black circular target. Gun is a model 66 shooting magnums.

He did equally well with my Chief's Special at every target distance out to 100 yds. I'm trying to capture a pic of the gun in mid-fire but it never happened. Hammer is on the way back in dbl action mode. Another good view of the great natural backstops here in the desert. On the other side of the huge mountain of desert rock, the closest inhabited area is several miles away and that's a prison. To break out of jail you either have to face the desert wilderness or walk into the target area of the range..

I'm there at least a couple times a week during the part of the year when the temps are below 100. I'm the guy with the smokey bear hat and huge gray moustache. Come and say hi.

Sgt Lumpy
The Following User Likes This Post: