View Single Post

Old 10-11-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked 1,170 Times in 549 Posts

My last 8 or so cars have all be manual - but the wife has had some automatics. Sometimes have to remind my self when switching from one vehicle to the next and back again.

In an auto I will brake with my right foot to come to a stop - then put my left foot on the pedal to hold so the right foot can apply the gas and increase reaction time and all the left foot has to do is slide off the pedal.

Not sure if someone else posted but the other danger of using the left foot to brake - unless you do it all the time - and especially when transitioning from a manual to auto - is applying the brake to hard or too suddenly because your muscle memory is not there and or the sensory feedback is not as developed when performing an action that is not common.

I did just that during a test drive for my current daily driver - they didn't have any manuals on the lot so we took an auto for a drive - coming off the freeway my left foot - trained to press the clutch to the floor to coast a bit before braking - hit the brake pedal and we experienced some sudden deceleration.

Also when I drive the wife's car after driving mine - I will deliberately not rest my hand on the shift lever - so that I don't try to move the lever while driving.