View Single Post

Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,213 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotime View Post

Curious though, other than the sleeve, does the duel spring/rod drop right in to the 4516-1?

Thanks.
Well, here's a pic of the factory reducing bushing. From what I understand from speaking with S&W, there is NO part number for this. It was made solely to address functioning issues under warranty on certain dash-1 guns. Shouldn't be to difficult to have one made. Any competent machinist would be able to make one of these.

The nested spring setup will fit in a dash-1 gun. however, I'd hesitate to run the nested spring setup in a dash-1 without this bushing or some equivelant. The hole in the spring tunnel that accommodates the guiderod measures about 0.295". A new factory inner spring is about 0.310" or so. I would be concerned that under recoil forces & compression part of the inner spring could work it's way into the clearance left by the 0.236" guiderod in that big 0.290" hole and tie up the gun.

Now If you already have the slim 0.236" guiderod, you can either have a bushing made up or and use the nested springs or, skip the bushing and run a flatwire spring like I do.

I made a special guiderod for mine but it does run reliably with the 0.236 guiderod since the flatwire also does duty as the aforementioned bushing to keep everything aligned.

Cheers
Bill