View Single Post

Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Liked 196 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
On the recommendation of Phil Plait of badastronomy, we went to see Gravity at the IMAX in 3D. His review has spoilers in it, so if you don't like that sort of thing don't read it.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/10/04/ba_movie_review_gravity.html

My take? Truly great special effects, which is the only reason to go see it (and I almost never feel special effects are a justification for seeing a movie). I just wished they could've been used on a better movie. It's not as bad a movie story-wise as say Avatar (and the effects are much more believable - I never felt like Avatar was anything more than a cartoon). It is probably worthwhile to see it in 3D on the IMAX, but I don't intend to see it again so I have no basis for 2D/3D comparison. It's only 91 minutes which helps - I usually get a headache and irritated eyes during 3D movies.

There's a nifty shot where we get closer and closer to Sandra Bullock in her spacesuit, until we actually pass through her helmet and rotate around and are looking out from her point of view. And you've gotta look pretty good when the closeup of your face is 30 feet high. I was pretty impressed overall with the fidelity of all the floaty zero-G stuff. I think the bulk of it was CGI and I had wondered if they did any of it in a "vomit comet" (an aircraft that flies a parabolic arc to create free fall, about 30 seconds at a time). But I saw Sandra Bullock on Leno and she said that they had talked her into doing scenes in the vomit comet even though she hates to fly, but after she gamely signed up for that they let her know that it'd be hanging from wires and such instead.

However there are the glaring unrealities of things such as George Clooney in the opening scene, swooping around the shuttle/Hubble with a Manned Manvering Unit (MMU) backpack like some kind of drunken sugarplum fairy. Everything I've ever seen done in space is slow and deliberate. And he's not helping get the job done! They aren't going to have an astronaut out there on a Hubble servicing mission doing nothing during EVA except play Rocketeer.

Plus nobody but Clooney had any kind of backpack even though all US EVA suits now have SAFR backpacks, a more basic type of MMU that allows an astronaut to get back to the ship if they accidentally get untethered.

Then there's putt-putting from the Hubble to the ISS with an MMU because look, it's that bright dot right over there! (And not in a completely different orbital altitude and inclination, and not maybe thousands of miles away on the other side of the Earth.) And then in a crippled Soyuz from the ISS to the Chinese space staion because it, too is just right over there. Crowded neighborhood! And all by the seat of the pants, with no instruments or autopilot or calculations or respect to orbital mechanics.

There's a critical plot point involving tension on a tether between Bullock and Clooney's suits (the fuller description of the situation is one of Phil's spoilers in his review), which could be explained if they were swinging around in an arc and there was centripetal force involved. However that's not the way it was represented so they screwed up there.

And, the orbital debris that causes all the problems doesn't spread out and just keeps coming around every 90-minute orbit with closing velocities "like a rifle bullet", but still they can easily see it coming in a visible swarm.

Etc.

But it's a pretty cool movie to look at.
You do realize it is a MOVIE, right? Not a documentary?

I'm sure When John Wayne rammed his submarine into a Jap destroyer (Operation Pacific) some old salt was saying "that movie stunk, that sub would of sunk for sure!"