Thread: MP15 Sport
View Single Post

Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 PM
US Veteran

Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
Default Adams Arms Piston Kit

As an M&P Sport owner I thought I'd chime in here.

I'm a Vietnam vet who refused an M-16 in favor of an M-1 Carbine and have resisted purchasing any AR for the past 40-years. Instead, I chose a Saiga AK-47 (Saigas are Russian built) which has been a great rifle; wet, dry, clean, dirty... it has never failed to cycle or shoot. For those of you who don't know, the AK is a piston design which leaves the bolt and receiver much cleaner than the gas impingement AR system.

Well, the AR bug finally bit late last year! After much research, I decided a 1:8 twist was the ideal barrel to properly shoot both light and heavy rounds. Based upon price, availability, twist and all the accolades the Sport received here, I purchased mine last spring. It has the 1:8 twist and 5R barrel.

The first time I sighted in a scope (Leupold VX-R 2-7X 33) I shot three sets of 3-rounds, each. I'm almost 70 and not nearly as strong or steady as I once was. However, the target with nine rounds through it only had three jagged holes! Accurate? Unbelievably so!

I'm also the kind of guy who hates to put a dirty weapon away and, as much as I enjoyed that outing, I was hugely disappointed at how filthy the bolt and receiver were. After several more outings and the purchase of all the special tools to clean the bolt, carrier, etc., I decided to convert my Sport to a piston system. Since Adams Arms supplied the original S&W piston systems, I purchased their Gen II kit and had it installed by my LGS. Total cost was $400.00.

My AR now stays cleaner than my AK! Without the piston kit, I would have probably sold it. Now, it's like the perfect rifle!

Last edited by DrDyno; 10-30-2013 at 06:21 PM.