View Single Post

Old 11-04-2013, 10:28 AM

Liked 620 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opoefc View Post
As Masterpiece says, the gun is 100% correct and if it sold at the price indicated, it was the steal of the week! I'm sure it will letter as a special order. 1 1/2 inch barrels were never cataloged but could be had as special orders. The first ones shipped that I know of was a pair, special ordered by a bank official, that were in the Bill Maier collection. They were shipped a few months before the first 2 inch barrel was shipped. The 2 inch barrels were later cataloged as Bicycle Guns, but the 1 1/2 inch guns were never cataloged. The defining clue as to whether the short barreled guns are factory is the location of the barrel stamping. It will be either on the side of the barrel, as was the gun sold, or on the top strap extending over the frame. Guns with aftermarket chopped barrels will have the remaining roll stamping on the barrel rib. Somewhere around the 65,000 serial range, the new shorter roll die for stamping the side of barrels on the snubbie guns appeared in approx. 1893-4 era. Ed.
Yup, the more I think about this the more I am kicking myself now for not buying it. Originals with barrels this short almost never come up for sale. This gun was indeed a bargain at the price paid.