View Single Post

Old 11-05-2013, 09:01 PM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

The issue with lead for me is a matter of "cleanliness", as in clean air. The indoor range I shoot at most often strongly enourages the use of plated bullet over any other type because they reduce the costs for filtration. BTW, they spend 10K PER MONTH on HEPA filters, so any savings is a real plus. In addition I just don't want to be breathing those lead and lubrication vapors.

As for plated bullets and velocity, one brand I've used a lot is Rainier and they "rate" their bullets up to 1200 fps. Personally I've run some of their 40 caliber bullets to 1050 fps without issues but I don't think I'd push them any harder.

I've also broken down some of the commercial ammo's that we use for range fodder and was a bit surprised to find that WWB, American Eagle, and Federal Champion in the 40 and 45 ACP all feature plated bullets. If you read the Speer #14 you'll also find that ALL of Speer's bullets have the jacket applied by plating, even the Gold Dots. Plating provides a bond at the molecular level that is a lot "stronger" than any bond established by casting into a pre-formed jacket.

Point is that where plating in concerned it's a matter of how thickly that plating is built up. Basically, the devil is in the details.

As for accuracy, I have not been able to see any difference between the 2 types of bullets. However I don't do my testing using a handgun vice, I hold the gun in my bare hands and do my best.
The Following User Likes This Post: