Thread: Josey Wales
View Single Post

Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked 6,215 Times in 2,424 Posts

High Noon was a plumb stupid movie.

Now, I wasn't upset with Will running around trying to get people to help him, like John Wayne supposedly was. What I was upset with was that nobody would.

"Oh no, Marshall. There's only fifty armed men in this town. There's four of them killers, so we'll just have to hide under the bed and let you face them by yourself. That's what you're paid for, ain't it?"

I can see that happening now. I could see that happening back East, to the namby-pambies that depended on the police.

But people that had the guts to pack up and go out west, and face Indians, blizzards, drought and grasshoppers? No. I ain't buying it that they are all a buncha lily-livered cowards.

The only thing about that movie that was any good at all was the end. Grace Kelly, a Quaker girl, who had been raised that violence was bad and guns were evil, picked up a pistol and shot the bad guy in the back to protect her husband.

THAT was good. Because, when it comes right down to it, no matter what else others think you should do, no matter what else you believe you SHOULD do, you protect your family.