Thread: Josey Wales
View Single Post

Old 11-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Banned

Liked 22,838 Times in 10,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpo View Post
I heard that the reason Duke didn't like High Noon was 'cause the sheriff, instead of being "strong and silent" and handling it, was running around hither and yon looking for help. That's why (again, so I heard) that Duke made Rio Bravo. To show the way it oughta be - that not only was the sheriff not LOOKING for help, but whenever it was offered, he turned it down. "I don't want to be responsible for you cowboys and storekeepers getting killed. Leave it to the PROFESSIONAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS."
Nope.

Duke didnt make Rio Bravo as a counter-measure to High Noon. It was a project he long wanted to do and in fact, his Production company (Batjac) was supposed to be used to make the money w/ the movie to help him get The Alamo made. Duke used his own money to get that done.

Rio Bravo was actually made in order to get more younger viewers which is why Ricky Nelson was in the movie. That helped get Duke "in" w/ more younger crowds who became big fans of his. Id say that was a brilliant marketing strategy he used.

Last edited by the ringo kid; 11-13-2013 at 11:37 PM.