View Single Post

Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Banned

Liked 1,190 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik View Post
They are closing the plant that makes new lead. Most lead you see and use is in fact recycled lead. That plant is running strong. Your wheel and fishing weighs, battery terminals, ammo and everything else is made from recycled lead.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
This; coming from a guy who has a basic understanding of.......

Basic understanding of what is reality.

Every car style lead acid battery is made up of 85% of it's total weight in lead. Just think of how heavy your single car battery is, and then imagine how much actual lead is already in the loop.
Of ALL the lead used in the US, over 75% is recycled lead.
New, pure annealed lead is very limited in it's dedicated uses. Radioactive shielding uses new, pure lead because of the specs called out for in the design process. Can be no steel particles or antimony- radiation will bounce and feed from that.
Certain electrical components require new lead. It is then mixed with stuff like antimony, gold, silver. They use pure lead; again- to ensure the volume of lead is a known quality/ quantity.
Lead is a major byproduct of silver, and mercury mining as well. When silver is smelted, lead gets separated. As this happens, that lead is pure, and it goes into the lead supply system.
There are hundreds. And HUNDREDS of thousands of tons of surplus lead in our system. We are not running out of lead anytime soon.

And, as to grasping at straws as losing lead smelting as the reason for buying up millions of rounds of ammo???
I now know why your dog is so tired after bringing back a stick. Because it was far fetched..........

Thanks Arik for giving proper insight on this.