View Single Post

Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 AM

Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
Yours was likely shipped in early 1944. As described it is highly likely a "Chopped and Bored" British .38/200 Victory. In the 1950s and 1960s, numerous surplus arms importers took .38/200s, had the barrels cut shorter and also had the .38 S&W chambers reamed to accept .38 S&W Special ammunition. Refinishing and replacement grips are also common. You should see if your chambers will completely accept .38 Special ammunition.

These have no collector value, but would be OK as shooters. Surprisingly, a couple of weeks ago, I personally saw one sold for $300, and the purchaser actually knew what he was buying. I wouldn't be interested in one at any price, but some people evidently do see value.
I traded for this gun and think I made a pretty good deal. Mine will accept 38 special. I was under the impression that 38S&W ammo was ALREADY larger in diameter than 38 special. Were the 38S&W chambers short-bored with a shoulder that stopped the 38 special's longer case? Otherwise I don't understand the need to bore it out for 38 special. When I fired 38 special in it the cases swelled a lot. 38 S&W cases don't swell much. Thank you for the information.