View Single Post

Old 11-17-2013, 02:29 PM

Liked 29,143 Times in 14,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrmn View Post
I traded for this gun and think I made a pretty good deal. Mine will accept 38 special. I was under the impression that 38S&W ammo was ALREADY larger in diameter than 38 special. Were the 38S&W chambers short-bored with a shoulder that stopped the 38 special's longer case? Otherwise I don't understand the need to bore it out for 38 special. When I fired 38 special in it the cases swelled a lot. 38 S&W cases don't swell much. Thank you for the information.
You are absolutely correct that the .38 S&W cartridge has a slightly larger diameter than the .38 S&W Special. .38 S&W chambers have a step in them at the case mouth position, and at that point the chamber diameter decreases enough to disallow the complete chambering of a .38 Special round. Therefore, the chamber must be bored more deeply to admit the longer .38 Special cartridge. Such modified chambers will then accept both cartridges. However, fired .38 Special cases will show a slight bulging due to their sloppy fit in the modified chamber. This is not considered unsafe, but some believe that split .38 Special cases may result. I have not found that to be the case.