View Single Post

Old 11-24-2013, 02:01 AM

Liked 1,035 Times in 484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt_shooter View Post
The DMT W8F 8-Inch Diamond Whetstone Sharpener is my favorite. You use it with water so clean up is easy, and the one stone lets you get a knife sharp enough to shave hairs off your arm. And it takes about 10% of the effort it takes to get the same sharpness using medium then hard Arkansas stones with oil.
That's another thing Mikey taught me. You can use water on your Arkansas stone, or better yet water with some rubbing alcohol added, in place of oil.

Yes, you might end up with some residue on the stone, especially if you let it dry out. But, keeping it wet during the sharpening process is easy. I usually flood the stone when I am finished, scrub with a wet paper towel to remove the residue, and then use a fresh towel to dry the stone before putting it away.

It's worth making certain the stone has dried completely before putting it away so that the moisture doesn't cause your nice, redwood box to crack, hence the alcohol in the mix . . . to make drying easier.

Admittedly, I just put that $75 diamond stone on my "when I win the lottery" list. Thank you for the tip!

I am going to win the lottery, right?

Yeah, sure, kid.