View Single Post

Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The Model 29-2 was manufactured in three barrel lengths; 4", 6 1/2", and 8 3/8". I have never in my life seen a 3" or 3 1/2"-barrelled 29-2 that wasn't a custom job. There was a variant of the 629 made with that barrel, one of which was prominently used by Steven Berkoff in the movie "Beverly Hills Cop". The 29-2 was the last of the 29's to have pinned barrels and recessed chambers. From the 29-3 on, these features were omitted. Later models also shortened the 6 1/2" barrel to 6". All of these changes were supposed to be cost-cutting measures, but the overall quality of the weapons suffered after that as well. I learned the hard way never to mess with the unpinned revolvers, after a 4" 629 Mountain Gun I owned began exhibiting barrel rotation at the range one day; severe enough to cause misalignment of the ejector-rod lockup and binding of the cylinder. I got rid of it shortly thereafter.
As to the availability of 4"-barrelled 29-2's, they're out there. I always see at least two or three at any gun show I go to here in Kentucky. Of course, getting one's hands on one for less than four figures is virtually impossible nowadays. When you find one, be prepared to shell out the bucks for it. Hope this helps.