Thread: K frame T-Grip
View Single Post

Old 12-08-2013, 01:59 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,738 Times in 2,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osilva40 View Post
I was very fortunate to find at the local gun show yesterday a three inch 13-3 S&W 357 (the only one in the whole place). I do not want to put anything rubber on it; are t-grips for a K frame readily available these days?

Thanks in advance,

Osilva40
Grip adapters make that model look similar to what the FBI used (they actually used either Pachmayr or S&W grip adapters), but for me, because the grip adapters shift a little with stout loads, I prefer the type of grip that offers a filler behind the trigger guard, but still does not extend below the frame at the bottom. Same effect as a grip adapter, but no "recoil shift" and neater appearance.

If you have to have a grip adapter, look into BK Grips in St. Louis, Missouri as they make grip adapters with two attachment clips instead of one, which supposedly reduces recoil shift. The owner has sent these to some forum members and the posts on here seem to indicate satisfaction. His web site also indicates disclosure and honesty where he states NOT to order his grip adapter if you are using it for one of the scandium J frames as he is not satisfied with the fit. For that model, he suggests waiting until he resolves some fit issues. You don't see most merchants doing that. I like that quality in a businessman - good old honesty.

Hogue Bantams are pretty neat, or the so-called "boot grip" if you can find one - the original maker is apparently months behind, at least if posts on here are to be believed, and there is simply no reason for it. Another good one to look at is the Secret Service grip by Eagle Grips. For a while, a licensed copy of the "boot grip" was made by Uncle Mike's and then Butler Creek. They are sometimes available on ebay.

Pachmayr makes the Compac Pro, which has an open back strap and is only slightly longer than the grip frame. While rubber grips might not be the best choice for pocket carry, the 3 inch Model 13 is not a pocket gun. Therefore, get a nice grip that will help you hold onto the revolver and control that recoil.

S&W used to sell some "boot type grips" on its web site also, and I am not sure who made those, but they did offer one for the K frame round butt.

Last edited by shawn mccarver; 12-08-2013 at 02:05 PM.