View Single Post

Old 12-13-2013, 06:10 PM

Liked 26,305 Times in 9,120 Posts

Buck13, After I develope the load for Trail Boss, I always check pressure tested data to be sure my loads will be safe in the guns I have. The 32-20 Loads are on the light end which is what I was after, my S&W 1902 and my Colt 1919 PPS are just too old and fragile for hot loads.

AR Black try powder Valley. Also my local Cabela's has kept some in stock for 3 or 4 months. The small "1 pound can" is 14oz, so TB is a littlt on the pricy side. I picked up 3 sm cans when it first came out. The first load I worked up was a 38-55/255 LFN and the book and I agreed on that load, 3 different shooters got 5 shot-1 hole groups with my rifle, the sights were/are Lyman tang sight and a Lyman Globe front. That big slow bullet is a sight to see on groundhogs

I've enjoyed Trail Boss in several modern and older smokeless guns but only one BP rated revolver, My Grandfathers Iver Johnson 38 S&W first model, CA 1880. He Used Remington smokeless loads ( ca.1920) that are hotter than my hand loads. This pistol has a moderate street value, but is a priceless family treasure to me, and I would do nothing to hurt it. Ivan