Thread: SAM HOUSTON
View Single Post

Old 12-14-2013, 02:16 PM

Liked 2,608 Times in 1,104 Posts

No, ol Sam came to Texas in 1832. He was the Gov and gave up his seat in 1829 as I recall.
This is all a strange tale.
He married a woman when she was 19---now this is where life gets interesting. Sam had spent a life on the frontier in Tennessee--happy in a tent and/or fighting---He was a mans man, happy in whore houses and boozing---what single guys did back then.
He got married for political reasons---the advice of Ol Hickory and was bound for the presidency. The gal was much younger than Sam and they were married 19 days before she went home to momma. It was a wealthy family and she was not dry behind the ears--either in bed or politics.
Just a few days after the wedding they were at a friends house and it was snowing, he joined the youngsters in a snowball fight. The friends wife said she need to help Sam out---the kids were getting the best of him.
She made the statement and it has been confirmed as truth. I hope they kill him---the friend looked at her and she said "I honestly wish he would die".
Now this is where it gets murky. There are rumors that some believe that she was repulsed at a groin injury that had to be dressed daily. A wound which he got in the Indian wars. The truth is, the groin injury had healed bot the shoulder where a lead ball lodged was a constant companion until the day he died and had to be dressed daily. I discount the wound theory.
Honestly, I believe Sam's experiences in New Orleans, were the source of her hateing him---she was a prude. we can go into a lot of history on this.
Sam then Left and went to Arkansas to live with the Cherokee--not a new thing as he had lived with them a number of years when he was a teenager--they gave him the name the Raven then---not because he was a drunk.
He married a half white woman--Cherokee marriage and Cherokee divorce (splitting the blanket) when he left for Texas in 1832-or 33---debate on this date is ongoing---he may have gone and come back.
While in Arkansas he and his wife started a trading post and ran that---they had no children together that can be verified.
Ol Hickory wanted Texas for the states---He may have been influenced by this.
He knew and it is written in his diaries and correspondence that it was an evitable clash with Mexico that was bound to come to war.
Oddly--he had sent Bowie to the Alamo to destroy it--and Goliad because the Texas Army could not support the battle to save it. He had to get Santa Anna into East Texas--that was the reason for the Running Scrape.
Sam was closed mouthed about his plans because of fear of treason.
Lots going on here folks.
I discount the Texas/Louisiana thing as the US had already purchased Louisiana and it was a state by the time of 1836.
Good discussion.
Blessings

Last edited by williamlayton; 12-14-2013 at 02:22 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: