Thread: SAM HOUSTON
View Single Post

Old 12-14-2013, 11:27 PM

Liked 20,090 Times in 5,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
I've often wondered what would've happened if he'd had Santa Anna executed. As it was, the captured Mexican dictator was spared and caused added trouble with the new Republic of Texas for years.

I do not understand the post about Houston and Santa Anna being brothers, in any sense of the word, biological or otherwise.

Jim Bowie married into the Mexican aristocracy (his wife and children were later victims of cholera) but I don't think any of the other early Texican leaders were at all related to Santa Anna or any other senior Mexican officials.

I'd be interested if anyone can show otherwise. I'm not adverse to learning new things, if they can be shown to be so.

I saw a movie where Richard Boone played Houston. I thought he was pretty well chosen for the role, although their looks differed. Boone overemoted, but that's common with actors.
Texas Star: regarding Tejanos and Texians, here are but a few: Juan Seguin, Jose Ruiz, Lorenzo de Zavala.
There weren't many natives (of Texas)in either army, and I've never heard that Col. Bowie was related to Santa Anna....but shoot, who knows...
Here's a link:
Hispanic Tejano Patriots in the Texas War of Independence

Don't bother with genealogy, General Houston and Antonio de Santa Anna were both Freemasons, and there is no argument about that. Whether the sign of distress turned General Houston from revenge, or otherwise is "speculative", as it were.

Last edited by Old TexMex; 12-14-2013 at 11:33 PM.