Thread: SAM HOUSTON
View Single Post

Old 12-15-2013, 03:33 PM

Liked 20,090 Times in 5,871 Posts

Diaries, letters and written remembrances rather than public speeches, newspaper articles often show a different side than is status quo. The winners write history, dead men tell no tales.

I doubt a conspiracy has gone to the trouble of falsifying 150+ year old letters and diaries to bismirch a hero. (Admittedly, some may have written unkind words about Gen. Houston because they didn't like him).
More likely, the elevation to mythic proportions by enthusiasts may well have brought about investigations and research which tend to bring down (out of the rarified air of Olympus) those who were indeed humans, cursed with weaknesses and also graced by God and good fortune. I for one feel errors deserve to be admitted, and credit for good fortune or the grace of God not be claimed for political advantage. With credit given where due. But that's human nature.

Since I'm due back up in Kemah, Texas this week, I'll have the chance to make the drive up to La Porte and I'll visit the battleground again. Maybe the ghost of the Raven will pay me a visit while I meditate on his victory.

Texas, Our Texas!

The Generalship of Sam Houston