Thread: SAM HOUSTON
View Single Post

Old 12-15-2013, 09:50 PM

Liked 16,951 Times in 3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old TexMex View Post
I certainly agree that he was elected, like any good politician is.
Election by contemporaries can be thin ice to build a hero on, if recent events are considered. And elections in Texas can be interesting.(I'm not far from Duval County).
The logbooks of captains, the diaries of soldiers, the letters of officers and enlisted men often reveal a different story than the one told during election campaigns.
That's what makes history so much fun!
The Runaway Scrape drew a lot of fire, but would turning and fighting have won? I do not know. I'm sure the folks there at the time questioned decisions. The facts are Houston turned and fought in a position where his army won a massive victory. He may have originally intended to draw the Mexican Army into disputed territory in east Texas close to Louisiana where upon the US Army may have pounced. It did not happen that way and he did end up victorious. I('ve) know(n) WW-II Pacific veterans that think we should have island hopped Iwo Jima. It did not happen that way, and we won. There is no question Houston was a politician, a drunk at times, and a guy that liked wilderness life; but all that and other traits combined into a lot of success.