Thread: 7.62x39 Uppers
View Single Post

Old 12-16-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Default 7.62X39 Uppers

If I was looking for an upper (ready to go) today I would be looking at the Armalite or possibly the Bushmaster.I have one I assembled in the first Obama scare using a Del-ton upper,Rock River lower, LMT bolt. Just looked on the D/T site and don`t see 7.62X39 uppers there anymore. The most important feature for the Russian caliber is M4 receiver and ramps and secondarily the mags. Mine became "M4" after the initial D/T upper (non M4) began having problems with nose-diving rounds into the chamber face.I contacted D/T and told them I wanted to upgrade to the M4 receiver and M4 barrel ramps.This was in the initial warranty period(90 days?) and they ate the labor and I paid the up charge to the M4 receiver and they smoothed out the barrel ramps to meld with the receiver. I of course owned a spare upper receiver at that point but due to parts shortages then too I sold that receiver and the whole deal only cost me about $50. Was using C-Products mags( bought 4-30 rounders) and had a problem with 2 of them if I recall but called C-Products(Chad?) and they swapped the mags and everything could not be better since. C-Products went through a change in ownership but they still have those mags on their site and I have since added a couple of 10 rounders...if you want to shoot off the bench the 30 rounders have that AK curve and don`t cut it. I also bought a 5/64ths bit and smoothed out the barrel gas port as some import ammo(at that time) was weak. I reload on a Dillon 550 using AA1680 powder and I have cases I`ve loaded 10 times that are still good. They look bad(even after tumbling) but still fire and cycle with no problems. The Armalite upper comes with no sights and the Bushmaster does have A2 sights and if you have a dealer that deals with either of those manufacturers I think you can do much better than Manu. suggested retail. Just my opinion. Good Luck, John