View Single Post

Old 12-20-2013, 10:21 PM

Liked 1,461 Times in 257 Posts
Default RANGE VISIT

I was able to get away from the base for lunch and went to nearlby "Oceanslime" (Oceanside) to shoot the R8.

I shot about 90 rounds through it. The 125gr GDHP Magnums shot low, but were grouped in the size of a Quarter. I guess they are calibrated to 158gr bullets. I adjusted the sights to be POA/POI with the lighter bullets. Next, was the Fiocchi 125gr JHPs. Outside of the massive amount of muzzle blast, theygrouped slightly more open than the Speer Gold Dots, but are a great round, especially the price.

Next, I shot about 40 rounds of Black Hills (new) .357 158gr JHP (Barnes XTP). It was on the 2nd cylinder-full of the Black Hills that I experienced my first (and only FTF). I think it was the ammunition, as I've had FTFs with Black Hills previously. A subsequent hit from the stock firing pin lit it off fine.

After about 20 of my .357 reloads (158gr LSWHP with 14.0 grs 2400), I noticed that the cylinder wouldn't close properly. I did all of the 'revolver remedials': Check the fit of the case heads, check under the star for unburnt powder granules, check the face of the cylinder for carbon build-up (my B/C gap is .005") and finally the fit of the yoke into the frame: All GTG.

After re-inserting the rounds, it inexplicably went back into battery and shot/worked fine. Weird.

Although I shot a small number of rounds, the power of the Magnums (full power) loosened the revolver up slightly. I'll still have the gun properly opened-up and addressed with the mods I detailed earlier.

Bottom Line: I really enjoy this revolver. It's light and seems to perk along nicely. When she's "finished" she'll be an exceedingly fine combat revolver. The recoil is almost nil.

Update: I just received my new Safariland 567 Adjust-A-Fit holster for the 5-inch N Frame. Without any adjustment, the gun slide into the holster and was a perfect fit. For those who own the R8, this is your >$100 holster. Hard to argue with its utility and adjustability. It doesn't have the same "pride of ownership" as does a custom holster, however. If you get the 567, I highly recommend their 568 belt loop, or go to Wilson Combat and get the Ladies Holster Belt Loop or their leather version of the 568 belt loop.