View Single Post

Old 12-23-2013, 03:04 PM

Liked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Thumbs up

BTMAQ:

No....

It's really more or less an SA.... The DA view (IMHO) is because moving the sear moves the striker just a little bit before releasing it.

Essentially, otherwise, it's an SA. The striker is held back (cocked) when the slide goes forward with a chambered round most of the time. You can interfere with that by not getting a trigger reset, but that's another story.

Converting the gun to a true DA would require a significant redesign of the trigger mechanism - you'd have to draw back the striker some distance, and the existing setup really doesn't let the trigger mechanism near the striker. All it does is nudge the sear and move the drop safety plunger out of the way.

KelTec's .380 and 9mm (at least the ones I've played with) use a real hammer, and in that sense are DAO because the trigger mechanism draws the hammer back for you. The P3AT leaves the hammer down after firing, but there's a reset while the slide is going backwards, that moves the hammer back a quarter-inch or so. It doesn't stay fully back....

I've got a couple of Para LDA guns (1911's). The trigger does move the hammer back, like a DA design, but once a round has been chambered, the gun's really an SA that just happens to need to have it's hammer moved back to the "fire" position. About 2# of pressure is needed v.s. the much heavier pull for a DA revolver. Calling it "DA" is really just marketing. IMHO, they could have designed it without the external hammer, but chose to stick with more or less an ordinary 1911 slide. I'm not sure about the drop safety, but I think only one simple machining cut would make an LDA slide work on a standard SA frame. Can't easily go the other way, though - the LDA slide needs a bit more machine work.

Oh yes... Welcome Aboard!

Regards,